Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Newly Confident Sloane Stephens Upsets Serena Williams



“Last night I was thinking about it. And someone asked me, ‘Do you think you can win?’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, I think so.’ But I wasn’t too clear about it, and this morning when I got up I was like, ‘Dude, you can do this. Go out and play and do your best.’ ”

 --Sloane Stephens, female professional tennis player, after upsetting Serena Williams in the 2013 Australian Open.

Stephens snapped Williams' 20-win streak 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 in two hours and 17 minutes. Stephens has never won a title of any kind. She beat the best player in the world to reach the semi-finals in Melbourne. She will meet Victoria Azarenka. She is the first American teenager to reach a semi-final of a grand slam event since Serena at the U.S. Open in 2001.

Excerpts from nytimes.com and theguardian.com (1/23/2013).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: