Here are my business lessons:
Dallas was on a mission of vindication and pride, but also established a strong following (outside of Miami) with those who wanted to see Miami lose because of what the Heat stood for and represented.
- A clear team mission that is bigger than oneself is more important than individual missions.
- Leadership is more important than talent.
- Leadership is earned not taken.
- Teamwork trumps talent.
- Team chemistry is critical. Chemistry takes time.
- Role players are as important as stars.
- Teamwork is about workflow: creating clear communication and roles; and making smooth passes, handoffs, transitions, and spacing. Workflow is key. Systems and process issues can hide problems. Workflow fixes will illuminate talent and competency problems.
- Execution wins championship.
- Winning is about closing the deal and finishing strong.
- Championships take time.
- Continuous improvement bests talent.
- Learning from mistakes is crucial.
- There are few overnight fixes.
- Success and excellence come in stages.
- Organization continuity will trump an quick influx of talent.