In successfully pursuing and eliminating Osama bin Laden, President Barack Obama displayed and has continued to display an inspiring level of leadership that has earned the respect of this country and our allies abroad. President Obama has established a strong legacy and has solidified his stance as a respected leader here and throughout the world. His place in history is now safe. He is the leader that we hoped for and expected when we elected him. He took his role as Commander-in-Chief seriously and took responsibility when it was most needed.
So, what did he do? What leadership model does he leave for us to follow?
- Vision: Single-minded Pursuit of a Desired Outcome
- Responsibility and Accountability for Doing the Right Thing
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Calculated Risk Taking
- Failure not an Option
- Courage in the Face of Criticism
- Willingness to Accept the Consequences
- Full Use of Intelligence and Best Information Available
- Due Diligence
- Realistic Cost/Benefits Analysis
- Careful Planning
- Delegating To Those with the Right Skills
- Sense of Humanity, Respect and Humility