Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Notes from the U.S. Open: Andy Roddick Learns Confidence


"I think I used to get more up and down on an individual results or two. I maybe used to be convinced after two bad weeks that it was going to fall apart forever or after two good weeks that I'd probably never play a bad match again. I think maybe I have a little more confidence in the process than I used to."

--Andy Roddick, discussing his past problems with confidence and self-criticism.


Andy Roddick, who Roger Federer has beaten in 19 or their 21 meetings, comes to this year's U.S. Open seeded fifth. His classic five-set loss to Federer at Wimbledon has rejuvenated his career and increased his fan support.

"I would be lying if I sat here and said I totally understood it. But it definitely made it easier to get motivated to get back on the court," says Roddick about his fans' reaction.

Roddick also hired Larry Stefanki last year as his coach. Stefanski has helped him with confidence, his self-criticism and internal dialogue. Roddick has also seemingly benefitted from his marriage to model Brooklyn Decker.

Will Roddick be confident and play well this year at the U.S. Open?

Excerpts from the New York Times (August 30, 2009)

For more on Peak Performance, go to The Handbook of Peak Performance.

To request access to my mental conditioning coaching tool, click on Peak Performance eCoach.

No comments: