Monday, March 30, 2009

Tiger Woods Continues to Add to the Legend



"I'm in serious disbelief. I don't think I've ever seen him make a putt when he had to have one. And that was the epitome of sarcasm right there. The guy is amazing. I am in awe. I don't want to say shock. I'm in awe.

"It was unbelievable drama. I tried to stay in my own world. ... It's kind of hard when you're seeing what you're seeing. Obviously Tiger, when he needs to step up, he does it. It was impressive to watch."

--Zach Johnson, PGA golfer who was in the final threesome with Tiger Woods, who Sunday won the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando.


Tiger Woods came from five-shots behind on the last round. Woods is a five-time winner of the Arnold Palmer Invitational, yet he has never won when he was trailing going into the final round. His largest final-round comeback on the PGA Tour was five shots in the 2000 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. He once overcame an eight-shot deficit in the 1998 Johnnie Walker Classic in Thailand.

Sean O'Hair's five-shot lead was the largest at Bay Hill since Woods led by five in 2003.

Woods came to the 18th hole tied with O'Hair after a bogey at the 17th and hit a 7-iron from 160 yards to 15 feet. O'Hair had already knocked his second shot on the green, leaving himself a 40-footer that he lagged to within 3 feet for a par that would have meant a sudden-death playoff if Woods missed.

Excerpts from ESPN.com (March 30, 2009)

2 comments:

Vincetastic said...

Hey Luis, thanks for the post. Tiger is back! I think you might enjoy this list, since Tiger and Arnold Palmer are both on it. I'm not sure if Byron Nelson’s record of 18 single season wins will ever be broken.

The Top Ten Most PGA Tour Wins in a Single Season Since 1916
http://www.toptentopten.com/topten/most+pga+tour+wins+in+a+single+season+since+191

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Tiger is back on the prowl. Tiger's mental game gives him a distinct advantage over the field. I believe the Buddhist influence in his upbringing has contributed to his steely focus. That kind of concentration is so critical at high level play.

I have begun to work with pro golfers on this aspect of the game and it is a real skill in and of itself....

Dr. Julie Armstrong