Thursday, February 26, 2009

Brad Lidge: Understanding Performance and Perfection


“The biggest thing for me is to not get caught up in stats in terms of perfection and non-perfection. You start with the goal that you want to throw well in every game and maintain that. The reality is, I have to be able to help our team win and have a good year as a closer.

"I’m not trying to top 2008. We won the World Series. In terms of what a closer is supposed to do, I can’t do better in save percentage. But I can actually go out and blow a couple of saves and still pitch better than I did last year.”

--Brad Lidge, Philadelphia Phillies relief pitcher, who recorded 48 saves in 48 chances, including the clinching game of the World Series.

Excerpts from the New York Times, February 26, 2009.

For the full article, go to: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/sports/baseball/26lidge.html?th&emc=th

No comments: