Thursday, September 04, 2008

Managing Emotions: The Key to Victory


“I managed my emotions a lot better. I stayed positive. At Wimbledon I got really negative and lost the only chance I had. This time, when she got in, I just relaxed. When I was up, I stayed relaxed.”

--Serena Williams, after beating sister, Venus, in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.


Serena posted a two-tie-breaker 7-6 (6), 7-6 (7) victory, in a classic match-up that had the feel and electricity of a Grand Slam final.

“I feel like I should have a trophy now. Unfortunately I don’t, and I got to go to the next round,” Serena said.

With a strong will and physical stamina, she rallied from 5-3 deficits in both sets, and overcame eight set points in the second. Serena will play Danara Safina in the semifinals.

Excerpts from the New York Times and AP, 9/4/08.

No comments: