Monday, August 18, 2008

Vision: Michael Phelps Looks at the Future


"I don't want this sport to be an every-four-years sport. In between the four years, there's really not as much exposure as I'd like.

"My whole goal is to change the sport of swimming in a positive way. I think it can go even farther. That's where I hope to take it.

"I just want people to get involved. This sport has changed my life and allowed me to do so many things."

--Michael Phelps, thinking about the future of swimming and his role in it. Phelps also plans to return to the Olympics as a competitor in London in 2012.

"Michael is the biggest thing that sport has ever seen. Not swimming, but sport in general. He just made the pressure putt to win the U.S. Open. He just won the Tour of France. He just knocked out Muhammad Ali. And he did it in one week."

--Brendan Hansen, fellow U.S. Olympic swimmer and teammate on the medley relay that helped Micheal Phelps make history.

Excerpts from the New York Times 8/18/2008.

No comments: